Thursday 21 May 2015

Welcome today's Guest Designer, Esther!

Hi, today we're welcoming back the winner of our first challenge, Esther of Crafty Effusions  We loved the stamped mosaic panel that she created for our first challenge and are so happy she's back with us today, having created another wonderful piece for our inspiration post. I'm sure you'll give Esther a warm welcome, so let's hear a little bit more about her before she shares what she's created with you. 

I'm Esther and I've been crafting in one form or another since I was a child! I discovered stamping in about 1998 and haven't looked back - I love anything messy and arty and have recently started dabbling with mixed media. It was very exciting to be chosen as the challenge winner and guest designer and I've created a wall plaque of ATCs for the 'Three of a Kind' challenge. 


Materials used -

Playing cards
Gesso
Dye Inks
Stazon ink
Stamps, Stencils
Embossing paste
Background board, Sticky back canvas
Self adhesive fun foam (for attaching ATCs)


1. start with old playing cards and a chipboard base. 


2. Apply gesso with a pallet knife - this gives more texture than a brush


3. Once gesso is dry spray with ink sprays.  I did more cards than I needed until this point as I usually have at least a couple that I don't like much and then  I can choose the best ones for the next stages. 


4. Stamp ! I've used two background stamps on each ATC - one in white acrylic paint and one in a dark Stazon ink 


5. Use a stencil to apply texture - I've used grunge paste on two of my cards and glitter paste on the other Once the embossing/texture past is dry I've coloured the hearts with the dye inks previously used and added some silver Treasure Gold to the stars.
6. Add quotes - I've stamped onto a plain page from an old book and edged with stazon ink (forgot to take a photo of this stage)
7. Once everything was dry and stuck I've added Stickles glitter glue around the edges for a touch of bling ! (again forgot photo)


8.  I prepared the board by applying sticky back canvas which I've stamped with stazon and splattered on with the same dye inks I used on the ATCs 


9. I've stuck the ATCs onto sticky back fun foam to add some depth and then mounted onto the background board (you could use foam tape, silicon glue or just stick flat with double sided tape) 

A huge thank you to Esther for joining us today, I'm sure you'll agree she's created a beautiful trio of ATCs. 
Feeling inspired?...You have till June 3rd to join in with our current challenge 'Three of  a Kind'.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for being our first guest designer Esther,! Your Three of a Kind' project is gorgeous! I love the colours and textures and the way you have used that fabulous quote. Great work ! Toni x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific techniques and wonderful ideas. Thank you for sharing them

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the thought that went in to these, the stars, raindrops and glitter are perfect! Thanks again. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic project Esther! Love the canvas background and the altered cards are gorgeous! Thank you for joining us today as Guest Designer. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful trio of ATC's Esther, a super quote and texture detail. Thank you for being our guest designer today.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are wonderful and such a fab idea - brilliant! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you again for having me a your guest ! I had such fun creating my ATCS xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous technique, colors and design.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous technique, colors and design.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ester, this is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the ATC's and how you have turned them into a canvas, Congratulations on being the 1st guest designer, thanks for sharing.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Esther, this is fabulous art work. Love the way you have created those ATCs..

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful project, I love it!!! :) Coco x

    ReplyDelete